Denver International Airport is the closest airport to Fort Collins. The airport is located 70 miles south of Fort Collins by Interstate. Travel time is around 75 minutes; traffic is slower during rush hour and on weekends. Denver is a hub for Southwest Airlines, which is a no-frills low-cost carrier and often has the best rates. Denver International is connected to downtown Denver Union Station by light rail. Note the famously unnerving murals while you pass through. Cheyenne Wyoming also has an airport, which is smaller and does not offer transportation options. Cab fare from Cheyenne is around $110 each way.
TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
You will need to arrange transportation from the airport to Fort Collins. The airport is 60 miles from Fort Collins.
- Car Rental | DIA offers rentals from most major car rental companies, starting at $15/day if booked in advance. Please compare the rates online to find the best price. Keep in mind possible winter road conditions from December through April.
- Green Ride | Shuttle bus to Fort Collins. Round trip reservations and student/senior discounts available.
- Bustang | This bus runs from Union Station in Downtown Denver to the Fort Collins downtown Transit Center, which is three blocks from the Center. Cost is $10 per ride. Reservations available online and through their convenient app. Union Station is connected by Lightrail to Denver International Airport. See below for light rail information
- Denver Airport to Union Station. You can ride the light rail from Denver International Airport to the downtown Denver Union Station. Union Station offers a high-end hotel, many restaurants and connecting buses to Fort Collins via the Bustang.
IN TOWN TRANSPORTATION
Ride Share and Apps
Fort Collins has Uber and Lyft available; you can also book a taxi with the curb app or online HERE. The taxi service is slower and should be scheduled in advance.
- Zipcar Car Sharing | It’s like having your own car but gas and insurance are free, daily and hourly rates available. This is a very convenient way to get about and the city offers a limited time $35 credit towards your first ride. All different auto types available (including 4wd) and reservations are online or via mobile.
- Max Transportation | The MAX rapid transit system runs north/south on Mason Street (parallel to and one block west of the main street, College Avenue) with stops every 2 blocks or so.
- Biking | Fort Collins is very bike friendly with many paths and very wide streets with dedicated
- bike lanes. Many hotels and Airbnb’s also offer complimentary bikes, inquire when
- making reservations. The City of Fort Collins offers a bike library, which you can register
- with and ‘check out’ a bike while you are here. For more information visit http://www.fcbikelibrary.org/.
HOTELS IN FORT COLLINS, COLORADO
We recommend the following hotels
- The Elizabeth Hotel | This is an autograph collection by Marriot hotel opened in 2018. You can receive a 15% discount while booking by entering the Corporate ID code 6CB while reserving. Please enter it in the special rates area. From their website…’Situated in the center of Old Town, the cornerstone of Firehouse Alley, our Fort Collins hotel is the beat of the city’s heart. Thoughtful amenities and vibrant spaces cultivate human interaction and discovery, because we believe that experiences are better shared with each other. Whether enjoying a cup of coffee with friends, having a lunch meeting with colleagues, or listening to live music while drinking a local craft beer, The Elizabeth Hotel is a community hub—a place to start the day, end the night, and everything in between.’
- The Armstrong Hotel | This lively hotel is in the Heart of Old Town Fort Collins, this independent boutique hotel offers cute rooms and is right downtown. Please call to make your reservations so you can mention that you are with The Center for Fine Art Photography to receive a discount. This hotel does book up, please make advance reservations. Minimum of two nights on weekends. Dog Friendly. Minimum parking availability.
- The University Inn | This is a friendly motel style hotel with a pool. They also offer first-come first-served cruiser bikes for their guests. Please call to make a reservation to mention you are with The Center for Fine Art Photography to receive a reduced rate. This hotel is popular; please book well ahead of time. Dog friendly.
- The Marriott, Fort Collins | The Marriott is clean and welcoming in central Fort Collins. It is next to restaurants and a theater and is located about two blocks from a MAX transportation stop. Please mention C4FAP for a reduced rate while reserving your room. Pets allowed for a $30 fee.
- The Hilton, Fort Collins | The Hilton is located a couple miles from C4FAP near the CSU campus and offers several amenities and a shuttle for local transportation. No discounted rate. Dog friendly.
AIR BNB IN FORT COLLINS, COLORADO
These are a few recommended Airbnb spaces that our artists have stayed in before, but there are plenty available at all price levels! We recommend staying near Old Town for convenience.
- Air B&B Fort Collins Listings
- Bungalow near to the Center
- Room in house, great for one person and only $30 per night.
HOSTELS IN FORT COLLINS
For travelers looking for the hostel experience we recommend the following.
- Fernweh Inn and Hostel | Located 1.8 Miles from C4FAP in Old Town Fort Collins, this is a cute and clean hostel. Walking distance to Amenities. Dogs OK with extra charge and single rooms, group rooms, and private group rooms are available.
- Solaruim International Hostel | International Travelers will find a home base on a backpacker’s budget. It is located 3.1 miles from C4FAP in a residential neighborhood. Please call 970-599-3817 for more room information and reservations.
FORT COLLINS QUICK LOOK
Located in Northern Colorado at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins is at 5,280 feet above sea level with a population of 148,00. The high altitude can cause issues if you are dehydrated, drink lots of water. Please be prepared for seasonal weather that changes quickly. We are sixty miles north of Denver, Colorado. Old Town is a vibrant downtown area with many good restaurants and shopping. We are known for our many craft breweries/distilleries that offer tours and our bike friendly streets. We are also located about one hour from Rocky Mountain National Park and one hour from Denver. There is seasonal rafting, boating and hiking near-by. If you have any questions about your visit, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org