Denis Roussel Annual Fellowship
Image Credit: Denis Roussel
The Center for Fine Art Photography is excited to announce the second annual Denis Roussel Fellowship (DRF). This fellowship honors the memory of artist Denis Roussel who inspired many to take risks in their work, step outside the boundaries of traditional images, and realize the magic of photography. It is specially tailored to help support the artist reach the next level in their artistic path and explore multiple possibilities to address specific needs. A group of mentors and a variety of resources will be available to help the recipient set clear goals as they proceed. In addition, a fellowship stipend of $1,500 is awarded to achieve these goals.
Think beyond the traditional to show us work and ideas about the power of photography that evoke emotion, transform, inspire, and even heal through our deep connection to each other and through stories. Tell us how you want to use this fellowship to further your life as an artist.
Timeline for 2020 fellowship Application:
- Applications available August 1, 2019
- Applications Due September 15, 2019 ( Deadline Extended)
- Fellowship Awarded October 1, 2019
- Fellowship period: January – September 2020
We encourage artists from underrepresented groups to submit. There is no cost to enter. The DRF is open to all photo-based artists at least 18 years old in the Colorado region of the USA. (Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah, and Wyoming)
This fellowship focuses on artistic development and can be used for any of the following (or more):
- assistance to obtain a studio for the fellowship period
- create a residency to make new work
- internship/mentorship with a noteworthy photographer or expert for the project
- print works for an exhibition
- publish an artist book
- creation and/or presentation of new work
- travel for purposes of artistic research or presentation
- purchase of equipment necessary to create new work
- the development of new artistic skills
- professional technical assistance
The ideal candidate for the Denis Roussel Fellowship is a dedicated photo-based artist with a compelling body of work. Proposed projects can be in progress.
- Complete Online Application
- Complete the Fellowship Online Application with the submission of an essay (written or video) and supporting work samples.
- Submit a written essay, video, or other creative format that states your desire for the fellowship and includes an introduction that clearly defines who you are as an artist. Include what you are most proud of as an artist, your most notable qualifications, experiences, credentials, skills, and achievements. Also, highlight your artistic dreams and needs. Describe how this fellowship can make a difference in your life,
- and why you should be the selected fellow. (3 pages or 5 minutes maximum)
- Work Samples
- Submit 10 – 20 work samples
Please contact the Center with any questions (970) 224-1010 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates who are selected for the second round of application reviews will be asked for three references.
The family and friends of Denis Roussel have made this Fellowship financially possible. We thank them for their generosity and foresight.
Current Denis Roussel Fellowship Artist
Mariana Vieira, was awarded the first Denis Roussel Fellowship at the Center for Fine Art Photography. Vieira is a dedicated visual artist with an MFA in Media Arts from the University of Colorado at Boulder and a BFA in Photography from Georgia Southern University. Visit Mariana’s website, to learn more about her work.